Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Reading Reactions for January 30, 2011

I really enjoyed this set of readings and felt like it had a lot to apply to my photography, as well as my life in some ways.

Anne Lamott: I love her writing style! She's honest and funny, so this was a really fast read. I thought she made some good points about having to just get started, take a project in little pieces, and get over being perfect. It took me a little bit sometimes to connect how this to photography, but I think it's like writing in many ways. You have to let yourself just get started on a project, in small pieces, but just take any photos you can on your initial shoot, because you never know what might grow into something more. You don't always need a solid focus on a long term project at the start. Shoot so you have options, then do better on each successive take. I really liked the chapter on not being perfect, and needing to let it go so you can discover new and wonderful things in the chaos and clutter.

Gross and Shapiro: I thought this went well with what we talked about shooting a picture story. You have to change your perception so each picture is interesting and new for the viewer. It had some good techniques to reconstruct reality, and then gave examples of each. I liked what it said about changing perspective, trying to think of how different creatures would see the same world that we see. I do find myself viewing things from the same lens and the same height, instead of moving up or down, back and forth.

Lenswork Podcast- 10,000 Hours: I liked how this one talked about how you have to work hard. Talent does count for some things, but it's when you put in the work that you really get good. You train your eye to see a style, and to see what works or not. That's developed over time, and not many people are just born with it. I think it's encouraging in a way to people who have to work a little harder at photography, that we really will be better in the long run. Talent can be learned, and you can get further if you work hard at it, instead of coasting on natural talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment